logoAbout Our School

Lukachukai Community School was a Bureau of Indian Affairs operated schoool up to June 30, 1998.

The school is now incorporated as a non-profit organization for charitable and educational purposes and the school board is responsible for the administration, operation and deveolpment of policy,pursuant to the Navajo Nation Education Council Education Commitee’s Resolution, ECD-127-96 and the Navajo Nation Council Intergovernmental Relations Commee’s Resolution,IROC-11-0-97.

On June 22, 1912 a Catholic chapel was completed in Lukachukai. Upon completion of the chapel, the local people met and requested a need for a school. In 1914 the consruction of the school began. The opening of the school was in April of 1916 at which time it ran through the summer but was closed during the winter time.

Lukachukai Community School is currently serving 384 students in Kindergarten through 8th grade from three (3) Chapters; Lukachukai, Tsaile/Wheatfields and Round Rock Chapters. 349 of these students are day students and around 28 students are registered with the residential program.

Lukachukai Community School currently has about 82 certified and classified employees. Some of our Employees commute from the nearby communities; Tsile/Wheatfields, Chinle, Many Farms, Rock Point and Round Rock and some are from our own community of Lukachukai.